UWATEC Galileo Luna Review
The Galileo Luna computer from Scubapro is the most recent addition to the Galileo family manufactured by famous Uwatex. The Luna dive computer has a full-tilt digital compass, extra large display and a huge memory , as well as a choice of three pre-figured screen (Light, Full and Classic) displays and micro-bubble management. The Galileo Luna is a hoseless air-integrated dive computer. There is an option to upgrade this dive computer to read as much as four transmitters and support three gas mixes up to 100%. One the of great part of Luna is the ease-of-use. All three control buttons are clearly labeled and it is quite difficult to get lost. At depth Galileo Luna offers its data on its display with depth, dive time, psi and NDLs prominently displayed. Divers can setup up to 6 micro-bubble suppression levels for additional safety.
Large display, choice of data screens and excellent digital compass, makes this dive computer an excellent addition to Galileo family. So it will be safe to say that this product is one of the most advanced dive computers currently offered in the market.
Prices vary but it seems that the best deal is offered thru LeisurePro
- Complete navigational system with integrated digital compass and bearing memory, virtually unaffected by tilt. Ease and accuracy, all in one instrument.
- Galileo combines an extra large dot matrix display with a huge memory for unprecedented flexibility:
- PDIS (Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops) optimizes your dive in complete security.
- Hoseless gas integrated computer: when used with a Smart transmitter you get tank pressure and true remaining bottom time (RBT) on the computer screen.
- Galileo can be reprogrammed through its infrared interface, meaning you can easily upgrade your computer with new functions and features downloaded from our website.
- Predictive Multi Gas algorithm: allowing you to enjoy the full benefits of high oxygen concentration mixes.
- User friendly graphic data display, shows you tissue loading and oxygen toxicity levels as a bar graph.
Ability to store personal information
The diver can simply enter his/her personal info ( such as name, cert. numbers). Also the Luna can store information about your dive insurance , contacts, some medical information (such as allergies); in case of an accident these information can easily be accessed at the touch of a button.
- Alarms and warnings appear on the large display in clear text in pre-chosen language, thus you’ll never misunderstand important signals while enjoying the beauty of the underwater world. The beeps of alarms can’t be turned off, but you can do it for warnings. You have an option to choose to receive warning of either only visual, only audible or both.
- Galileo’s interface is user friendly and quite easy to use. It’s like a cell phone so you can setup and view all interface elements for complete personalization without hassle.
The exclusive advantage of dive computers from UWATEC is that they be upgraded. You can download the update packages from the Internet to add new features, new languages and so on.
For additional amount of money UWATEC Galileo Luna can be upgraded with 2 additional features and they are available at your Authorized SCUBAPRO UWATEC dealer, these two features can be added quickly via: galileo.uwatec.com.
- Predictive Multi-Gas upgrade: Purchasing this PMG feature at a later time, or whenever you need it, allows LUNA to use up to 3 Nitrox mixes (21-100% O2) during the dive, calculating the ascent schedule for all possible combinations of the programmed mixes. The outcome of the different decompression calculations can be shown on the screen in a dedicated deco summary screen.
- Heart Rate Monitor upgrade: Galileo’s heart rate monitor, has been developed together with Polar (one of the world leaders in the niche of heart rate monitors), not only measures and records the heartbeat during the dive but allows the dive computer to factor the intensity of the exercise into the decompression calculation, as it is reported by the diver’s physiology. The HRM is also ideal for Apnea divers, measuring heart rate and sounding an alarm if the heart rate drops below the set level.
Some great features which I like
- Full-tilt digital compass with bearing memory
- Extra large dot matrix display and huge memory
- Hoseless gas integration
- PDIS (Profile Dependent Intermediate Stops) for optimized diving
- Choice of 3 pre-figured screen display modes; Light, Full and Classic
- Easy to use interface, similar to a cell phone
- Personalize with owner or emergency or health information
- Oil filled technology
- User replaceable battery
- Infrared technology and PC download capability
- Heart rate monitor system and Predictive Multi gas features are available to upgrade. These are not included with item and should be purchased separately.
- True remaining bottom time (RBT) calculated using tank pressure, breathing rate, depth, ideal ascending speed and more.
- Nitrox compatibility
- Microbubble management.